Find Your Wild Spirits | A Mythic Catskills Weekend
May 10-12, 2019
Spring rises with a thrumming energy in all of us…revel in the month of May as wildness unfurls in the Catskills with a celebration of the waters of life.
Spillian is delighted to partner with Table to Farm Tours to invite you to come and taste – literally and metaphorically – the terroir of the Catskills ciders, beers, and spirits and bring some wild spirit to your spring.
Join with us as we introduce you to an extraordinary group of makers who bring the soil, water, and grains and fruits of the Catskills to life as ciders, beers, and spirits. You’ll wander with the inspiring team from Table to Farm Tours on a private tasting tour to several of the finest craft brewers and distillers in the country, and learn how they make their magic in bottles and kegs.
Or you can stick closer to home for the day, and forage the grounds for edible mixers, unfurl in a moving meditation class, or simply relax.
Discover some of Spillian’s favorite mixed drink magic, try your hand at mixology, and compete for a chance for your creation to be included in Spillian’s featured drink collection, and celebrate with new friends…and, of course, feast. The food. Oh, the food…
Find Your Wild Spirits at Spillian. It’s Mythic. Local. Real.
Join us for the full weekend; for the Saturday tasting tour, mixology contest and feast; or the mixology contest and feast.
REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED! Thanks so much, and please join us for another weekend!
Mythic Catskills Weekends
Spillian’s Mythic Catskills Weekends are an intersection with the essence of the Catskills: the forests, the mountains, the people, the deep stories that make this place so compelling.
Each weekend celebrates a facet of this gem-like place: its food, its fish and streams, its ringing spring and summer, its snow-spangled winters, its flowing creative life force.
Come for a weekend of grand adventure. Feast. Explore. Hear the great stories and share your own. Revel in the mythic possibility of the Catskills and find where it sings in your life – and then bring that song back home with you.
Find Your Wild Spirits | What’s Included
Mixing It Up
- A robust farm-to-table charcuterie, including local meats, cheeses, spring greens, house made hummus, relishes, chutneys, tarts, and more from our neighboring farmers and food producers.
- A mixology class, teaching you to make three Spillian favorite featured cocktails: The Spillian Trout Tail, birthed at our Catskills Trout Tales events with Union Grove Distillery vodka and Tree Juice maple syrup; The Spillian Campfire, with Prohibition Distillery gin, pine simple syrup, and smoke; and the Spillian Wallflower, a drink invented by our amazing guest Marin Gardner at the first celebration of spirits at Spillian, an invocation of Catskills fields and forests, and the extraordinary antique frescos that adorn the walls here. Learn how they’re made, try a taste, and then we’ll open the bar!
- Tales, real and mythic, about the history and lore of booze in the Catskills in front of the blazing fire.
Finding Your Wild Spirits Tour
- 9 AM: A Catskills breakfast featuring eggs from Spillian Farm’s ridiculous chickens.
- 10 AM: For those who want to discover how it’s all made. A custom Catskills local libations tour to amazing distilleries, cideries, and breweries tour with Table to Farm Tours, with flight tastings at each, and a chance to buy the flavors you adore to spark your spring. Our itinerary includes several award-winning Catskills spots: Wayside Cider and Tap Room, Roscoe Beer Company, Catskill Brewery, and Prohibition Distillery, and lunch at one of our local breweries.
- 10 AM – 4 PM: For those who’d like to do their making in other ways, a day of relaxation and discovery:
• explore local shops for special finds, from antiques to hand-crafted art on a self-guided tour.
• simply explore the back of your eyelids in Spillian’s great room or epic porch.
• 1 PM: lunch for those who choose to stay close.
• 2 PM: A hike on the Spillian 33 acre wooded estate and forage early spring herbs for dinner and cocktails.
• 3 PM: Reground yourself with a moving meditation with Spillian co-founder Leigh Melander, going deep into metaphors of the wild mountains, streams, and forests.
- 5 PM: A Happy Hour of Mixology Contest: with ingredients awaiting you. Here’s your chance to mix the next great Spillian cocktail, with naming rights! Get your inner mixologist working! The competition is fierce!
- 7 PM: A family-style feast from Spillian’s chef Christian Van Etten, featuring flavors from Catskills the woods as they come alive. Menu below!
- Storytelling of the history and legends of the Catskills and its colorful history with beers, ciders, and spirits.
The Morning After
- A Spillian breakfast.
- A class with Chef Christian on how to make the perfect post-celebratory, comfort food anti-hangover dish, maybe even a little hair of the dog. We’ll send the recipe home with you!
- A gathering around Spillian’s feasting table to down your the delicacies.
The Saturday Spirits Feast
A family style feast around our extraordinary mahogany dining table, all dressed for the season. This table is a true place of convivium, where tales are topped, ideas are birthed, and friendships created. Here’s the menu our Chef Christian Van Etten is presenting:
• Asparagus Salad with Two Stones Farm Goat Cheese, Frizzled Ramps, and and Awestruck Cider Vinaigrette
• Highland Farm Venison with Blue Sky Blueberry Wine Reduction
• Japanese Knotweed and Honey Glazed Roast Chicken with Shallots
• Farro Pilaf with Wild Mushrooms, Onions, Walnuts, and Garlic Mustard Pesto
• Prohibition Bourbon Glazed Roasted Brussel Sprouts
• House Made Vanilla Ice Cream with Union Grove Catskills Maple Spirit Chocolate Drizzle
Weekend fee includes all sessions including all meals (dinner Friday, breakfast, lunch at Spillian, and the feast on Saturday, breakfast and lunch of your cooking class creation on Sunday); Spillian mixology class and tasting; foraging wander on the grounds; moving meditation class; mixology contest; and cooking class. The Table to Farm Tours Local Libations Tour is an additional $145 per person. Cash bar, tax, and gratuities not included. Click here to learn more about our splendid guest rooms!
Find Your Wild Spirits Weekend For One: $495
Per person, single room occupancy. Check in any time after 3 PM on Friday.
Find Your Wild Spirits For Two: $595 until April 30. After that, $695.
For the couple, double room occupancy. Check in any time after 3 PM on Friday.
Saturday Wild Spirits Table to Farm Local Libations Tour: $145 per person
A fully guided tour to four local craft libations makers, led by Table to Farm Tours. All transportation, custom tastings, and lunch included. Please be ready at 9:45 for a 10 AM departure.
Saturday Wild Spirits Mixology Contest, Feast & Festivities: $65 per person
Just want to join us for the evening? Come find your wild spirits at the mixology contest, feast and festivities. Cocktail hour begins at 5 PM, dinner at 7 PM.
What to Bring With You
We’re fairly casual here in the mountains! If you’re going hiking, make sure you bring comfortable clothes and decent hiking boots. If you’re up for the moving meditation class, please bring something you can easily move in. Being in the mountains can bring cooler temperatures, so make sure you bring layers with you! Other than that…a camera if you’d like, maybe a journal, and a willingness for adventure.
About Table To Farm Tours
Our goal is to connect the dots for you, curating tours to a variety of local producers from creameries to tea blenders, veggie farms to hard cideries, creating an experience you’ll remember long after you’ve visited the Catskills. Hop in our comfortable van and we’ll take you on full day tour or come along for an evening of amazing libations and excellent farm-to-table food. You’ll have opportunities to meet individual farmers and makers, hear their stories, learn about their philosophies, tour their site, and taste some amazing food and drink. Learn more here.
About Leigh Melander
Spillian co-founder Leigh Melander has a doctorate in cultural mythology and psychology, and an extensive background in the performing and creative arts. She’s studied, performed, and taught movement classes around the US and in Greece, Mexico, and Romania. Leigh’s moving meditation sessions are an engaging way to explore how our bodies understand place and story through yoga, pilates, and guided imagery. Leigh served for five years on the Board of Directors of the Joseph Campbell Foundation, has been published in both scholarly and popular publications on myth and story, and hosted a weekly radio show, Myth America, for three years. She guides the programming at Spillian, and offers workshops on imagination, creativity, and story here and around the US.