A Reveler’s Feast
Thursday, December 27 at 6 PM.
The incomparable Chef Mike Riley of picnic! is coming to play with Spillian’s marvelous Chef Christian Van Etten in the kitchen for a very special pop up dinner on Thursday, December 27. These two have cooked together for years and are planning an extravaganza! Come and discover the brilliance of our very own culinary Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn (we’re letting them decide which is which) as they make magic in the kitchen. This one’s going to be special!
Mike and Christian are crossing the culinary streams in what promises to be a genuinely memorable seven course meal around Spillian’s feasting table.
A Reveler’s Feast Menu
A Seven Course Robust Tasting Dinner
- To start, an Amuse Bouche: A Duo of Quail Eggs: Crab “Scotch Egg” and Deviled Egg with Avocado, Wasabi, Tobiko
- Petite Greens Salad Melange, Pickled Radish, Clementine, and Walnuts with Citrus Herb Vinaigrette
- Wild Mushroom and Dirty Girl Farm‘s Goat Cheese Agnolotti, Rutabaga Emulsion, Honey Glazed Winter Root Vegetables
- Seared Jumbo Diver Scallops, Ramp Kimchi, Edamame, Radicchio Asian slaw
- Duck Confit Tamales, Blueberry “Mole” Featuring Local Blueberry Sky Wine, Scallion, Capers
- “Stuffed Cabbage”- Hubbell Family Farm Berkshire Pork Wrapped with Savoy Cabbage, Golden Raisin Puree, Truffled Spinach and Rice Fritter, Pignoli
- Banoffee Cheese Cake, Digestive Biscuit Crust, Banana Dipped in Dark Chocolate, Dolce de Leche
- Coffee and tea
Our bar will be featuring an array of local beer, cider, and spirits, and two special Spillian cocktails:
- The Trout Tail: Union Grove Distillery‘s gold-award winning apple- based Vly Creek Vodka, Tree Juice Maple Syrup, Mint, and Selzer
- The Old Fashioned Campfire: Union Grove Distillery‘s Dry Brook Whisky, House Made Pine Simple Syrup, Luxardo Marachino Cherry and a Twist of Clementine…Smoked!
Feasting at Spillian
The grand table, with its three chandeliers overhead, has been the place of some truly unforgettable feasts. It is the heart of Spillian and our goal to bring community together to celebrate and conjure up how we can change the world. We gather and break bread together, sharing stories (some true, some wildly imagined), savor company of both old and new, as well as extraordinary flavors coming from our kitchen. It is a convivium in its truest sense: a feast of tastes, ideas, and camaraderie. We hope that you will join us!
Chef Mike Riley
Having been born and raised in the Borscht Belt, at one time the perpetual Mecca of New York summer vacations and hotels, you can definitely say that hospitality is in Chef Mike Riley’s blood. The son of a professional baker, Mike has been around restaurants his whole life, and was practically raised in professional kitchens.
Currently Mike hangs his toque at picnic!, where he is the Chef/Owner Operator. He focuses on feeding the masses anything from sandwiches to signature comfort food dishes. Refining comfort food while adding fun twists is his favorite pastime, and keeps picnic! a perennial favorite with locals and tourists alike, in the buzzy little retreat town of Margaretville.
Chef Christian Van Etten
Born in Kingston, raised in the Catskills, Christian was drawn to the creative making of cooking early, and attended SUNY Delhi’s award-winning culinary program. He has cooked professionally in a variety of settings in New York (several with Mike – they are the dynamic duo!) and Florida, including serving as Head Chef at one of Disney World’s fine dining restaurants.
Christian joined the Spillian crew in summer, 2018, and has re-invented the kitchen as a place of unerringly creative cuisine, reflecting local flavors and Spillian’s creed to ‘imagine past what you think is possible.’ He builds innovative menus in partnership with our clients, enjoys teaching cooking classes with workshop guests, and is developing content for a Spillian Kitchen YouTube short class series with tips on how to bring some of the tricks of the Spillian’s kitchen to your table. He is an ice cream whisperer.
A Reveler’s Feast
Thursday, December 27
6 PM Tavern Opens
7 PM Feasting
Price: $60 per person.
Not including tax, gratuities, and cash bar.
Seating is limited and tickets must be purchased in advance.
Thank you! We’re looking forward to feasting with you.