A portal for imagining…
The word Spillian is Old English for “to play, to jest, to revel.” Spillian Partner Leigh Melander wrote her dissertation on frivolity as an opening into imagination, and the word “frivol” comes from the same root as “revel” and “rebel.” And, incidentally, her mother’s family name is Spillers… It’s in her DNA to create a place where people can revel in a little rebellious creativity!
The Spillian Mission: we seek to create physical gathering place where people can revel in new ideas, possibilities, and experiences within a vibrant, sustainable business model. Our main goals as a business are as follows:
- To create an internationally acclaimed creative center that incites imagination as it celebrates its stakeholders, its history and its natural surroundings.
- To offer innovative programming that expands personal and organizational possibilities through retreats, workshops, radio, online learning, multi-media publishing, and a brick & mortar/ecommerce retail store.
- To create a profitable and sustainable company that strengthens the local economy as it bridges the gap between learning, creativity, and commerce.
In our first two years, we’ve brought thousands of guests to the mountain, and thousands of dollars to the local economy. We’ve built partnerships with extraordinary individuals and organizations around the region and around the world. We’ve launched two radio programs. And we’ve brought a really special property back to life, even as we are dreaming its next layers. We are currently engaging in a powerful visioning process with Spillian Fellows John Boecker and Tom Keiter of 7Group, building a cohesive plan for the property that captures the essence of what Spillian is and can be for all of its stakeholders, from co-creators, to audience, to investors, to neighbors, and even to the landscape itself. This process is working from Carol Sanford’s The Responsible Business, a guide to building businesses that are truly regenerative, rather than simply profit-driven. In this model, we are imagining that all of our stakeholders will find a sense of empowerment and purpose.
- Users/Customers: Develop capability to serve as fire-starters and change agents
- Co-Creators: Develop caring relationships and agency
- Earth Systems: Clarify the working of exchanges and nurture interrelationships
- Community: Make Real . . . the difference that makes a difference
- Investors: Empower agency to think and act regeneratively
Spillian is poised to become an internationally recognized force in global work on personal, cultural, and sustainable imagination, bringing energy, visitors, and opportunities to the Catskill Mountains.
Won’t you join us?